Unpaid Commissions

The Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) protects employees who have not been fully compensated for the work they have performed for their employers. An employee who has not been paid commissions that are due may be eligible to recover any unpaid compensation they are owed.

After a person’s period of employment ends, the employer owes that person all of the money he or she earned on the job. While it may be obvious that employees are required to receive pay for all of the hours they worked, the law pertaining to commissions is not as straightforward.

If you believe that your employer has not paid commissions that you earned, contact a lawyer to help you secure the compensation you deserve.

What is a Commission?

Although the specifics vary between industries, typically a commission is a percentage of a sale paid to the person who made the sale. Stockbrokers, salespeople, real estate agents, and other types of employees often work on commission and are thus entitled to a percentage of what they sell. In some circumstances, a commission may be the only compensation a worker receives. Other employees receive a commission on top of a salary.

People who work solely on commission often receive a higher percentage from the sales they make than people who receive a commission in addition to a base salary.

In many sales jobs, a delay between the sales pitch and the actual payment of money is common. In a complex sales situation, more than one person may be involved in the sale itself. When a person responsible for the sale leaves his or her job, willingly or unwillingly, the issue of commission can become complicated. Although the employee is entitled to receive the commission, if other people performed work on a sale after that employee left, the actual amount owed to the departed employee may be unclear.

Parks, Chesin & Walbert Will Explain Your Rights

Because laws vary from state to state and the law regarding commissions is not always clear, it is essential to contact an experienced lawyer to help you recover the wages that you deserve.

Parks, Chesin & Walbert represents employees who have been denied the commissions that they rightfully earned. Parks, Chesin & Walbert can help you understand the terms of your payment plan and help you recover the commissions due to you. You may be entitled to recover your unpaid commissions as well as punitive damages for the compensation your employer failed to provide.

If you are an employer with questions about unpaid commissions, attorneys at Parks, Chesin & Walbert will answer any questions you have. Call us at 404-873-8048 or contact us online. We can help you calculate the amount of unpaid commissions that you owe an employee. If you are currently engaged in a dispute with an employee about unpaid commissions, we will assess the claim and help you protect your rights.

Client Reviews

Their insight, expertise and experience provided us with invaluable guidance during times when we faced critical decisions.

Lewis M.

Just wanted to send a formal thank you note to emphasize just how grateful I am for the outcome of my case! You truly have taken the stress out of this unfortunate situation.

Client N.S.

Very professional, updated me once a week, very thorough and knocked it out of the park. We got everything we were looking for.The overall staff was very encouraging and gave me the strength to keep going.

Chris J.

Contact Us

  1. 1 Over 40 Years of Experience
  2. 2 Free Initial Phone Consultation
  3. 3 Innovative Approaches to Legal Challenges
Fill out the contact form or call us at 404-873-8048 to schedule your consultation.